Immune and Auto Immune Conditions
Our Immune System is our army within. It does its best to fight off infections and pathogens all day, every day. Most of the time it does a great job. But our immune system can get overwhelmed and even confused. When this happens, our it stops being able to do what it’s supposed to do well, leading to three main immune–related health concerns:
- Sick all the Time – a lowered immune function
- Allergies – an over sensitive immune response
- Chronic Auto Immune Conditions – a long term inflamed and “confused” immune response
Each of these types of immune conditions can be understood and treated holistically. Naturopathy helps to rebalance and treat the immune system in a different way to conventional medicine. Rather than turning on or off certain biochemical responses, naturopathy helps restore the body’s own innate, appropriate immune response.
Sick of being sick? A lowered immune response means it just can’t fight off an infection the way it should, either in the short or long term. In the long term this can manifest as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome where your immune system itself has become chronically fatigued and just can’t keep up with the demands placed on it.
To improve the functioning of your army within, naturopathic remedies help to address the cause of why your arming is flagging – it may be stress (the Big One), or diet and lifestyle choices, or nutritional deficiencies (your army can’t work if it’s not fed!).
Your army within may not be getting the right instructions from it’s leader – The Gut! Gut probiotics are vital to a healthy immune response. Without the right balance of gut flora, your army literally doesn’t have clear instructions about what to fight off.
This is when your army within attacks things it shouldn’t – it has become over sensitized to anything that it thinks doesn’t belong. A naturopathic approach can help to redirect your immune response and reduce inappropriate inflammation.
Long term “confused immune system”, or immune dysfunction can lead to auto immune conditions, including Celiac disease, Hashimoto’s disease, Grave’s disease, Lupus, Ankylosing Spondylitis, and Rheumatoid Arthritis.
There are many possible contributing factors leading to auto-immune conditions, These factors promote inflammation and long term tissue damage. They include:
- Digestive issues such as Intestinal Permeability and malabsorption
- Coeliac disease or gluten intolerance
- Sluggish liver
- Gut inflammation
- Reaction to certain medications
- Parasitic infection
- Chronic infections
Your Path to a Healthier Immune System
A naturopathic approach can help to reduce inflammation and promote tissue repair. Frances uses a three step approach to determine the cause of your immune health issues and devise a treatment plan for you:
- An initial fact finding consultation and assessment of your symptoms, current diet, lifestyle, personal and family medical history.
- An assessment and testing session: This may include Functional Pathology tests such as antibodies, full blood count, Allergy Testing.
- A discussion with you about your tailored treatment program, specifically based on your test results and tailored for what is “do-able” for you. This may include dietary advice, Practitioner-only nutritional supplements, probiotics and herbal medicine.
Frances recommends regular follow-up consultations to continually monitor your improvement and adjust your treatment accordingly.